This video is presented by Common Good Solutions on their YouTube channel.
Help us spread the word about PYLP
- Tell others, your friends, classmates and anyone else who might benefit from these materials.
- Share us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Review us on your Social Media Pages, e.g. on YouTube. Use the #PYLP. Great reviews help others find us.
“Social entrepreneurs and social enterprise exist primarily to meet their mission more than to make money.”Common Good Solutions
WHAT IS THE PRESENTATION ABOUT?
The video provides an excellent introduction to the value of social enterprise. Below is the introduction to the video:
Social entrepreneurship strengthens communities, creates jobs, and increases environmental and financial sustainability. Social entrepreneurs use a specific business model called social enterprise to directly address a social, cultural, or environmental issue.
A bakery social enterprise night provides training and jobs to people who face persistent barriers to employment. They help them build skills that they can use to find full-time work.
A community orchestra can help amateur musicians connect with each other and perform for local paying audiences. The group can share the music of different cultures within their community.
An environmental enterprise can provide subsidies for energy retrofits for homeowners to make their homes more efficient and to help their environment.
These examples directly address one or more important community issues by making or selling a product or service to paying customers.
To do the tasks below and accomplish the learning outcomes, please watch this video presentation or watch via YouTube.
- On Your Own: To identify the different organizations and agencies in your community that promote social enterprise
- With Your Team: To create a compilation of these organizations and agencies and write a letter to send to all these organizations as a way to thank them for their work
- With Your Community: To meet with in person 2-4 of these organizations and agencies to learn about their work and discuss future collaboration