This video presentation is created by Western University in Ontario, Canada.
Help us spread the word about PYLP
- Tell others, your friends, classmates and anyone else who might benefit from these materials.
- Share us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Review us on your Social Media Pages, e.g. on YouTube. Use the #PYLP. Great reviews help others find us.
What is the presentation about?
Community has different definitions, but overall, it is a sense of belonging. Community engagement, according to the presenter, is “the process of working collaboratively with and through groups of people affiliated by geographic proximity, special interest, or similar situations to address issues affecting the well-being of those involved.” The presentation connects these two and discusses the benefits of community engagement as it leads to empower citizens, contribute to change, strengthen social inclusion, higher quality solutions, and inform policy decisions. The goal for learners is to look at these benefits and begin to develop ideas and plan for their own community engagements.
To do the tasks below and accomplish the learning outcomes, please watch this video presentation or watch via YouTube.
What are your tasks and the learning outcomes?
- On Your Own: To define community engagement in your own words or local language
- With A Team: To contrast community engagements with two different communities in one nearby province
- With Your Community: To plan and organize a community event and use the #pylpengages on your social media